Learn More About Stained Teeth
Are you having trouble with stained teeth? At Brabham Smiles, we offer several treatments to help remove stains from teeth. Let us give you the brighter, whiter smile you’ve always wanted. Schedule your consultation today and see how we can help you get started on your journey to brighter teeth.
Let Our Dental Treatments Brighten Your Stained Teeth
Tooth stains can be caused by various factors, including coffee, tea, red wine, tobacco use, and certain medications. Over time, these substances can build up on the surface of the teeth, causing them to become discoloured. In some cases, the staining may be difficult to remove with regular brushing.
Brabham Smiles offers several treatments for stained teeth, depending on the severity of the staining. Our professional teeth whitening is a popular treatment that can help brighten your teeth and improve your smile. However, if your teeth are severely stained, you may want to consider veneers or crowns. Veneers are thin shells bonded to the front of your teeth, while crowns are made to fit over your existing teeth. We also offer smile makeovers, which are customised treatment plans designed by our highly skilled dentists to give you a brighter smile.
Common Causes of Stained Teeth
Dental Services that Can Address Stained Teeth
The professional teeth whitening gel used by dentists is much stronger than over-the-counter products, and a special light is used to accelerate the whitening process. Since the treatment is supervised by a qualified dentist, it is much safer.
Typically, veneers consist of thin porcelain pieces that are custom-crafted to fit over the front surfaces of the teeth. Because they are made from a translucent material, they allow light to pass through, creating the illusion of whiter teeth.
Dental crowns can be used to cover the entire tooth structure, hiding the stains and creating a bright, white smile. By covering up stained teeth with a crown, you can also prevent future staining and keep your smile looking good for years.
Smile makeovers are personalised treatment plans that can address a wide range of aesthetic concerns, including stained teeth. Through a combination of professional whitening treatments, dental veneers, and dental crowns, you can achieve a sparkling smile.
You're Just One Click Away from a
Frequently Asked Questions
about Stained Teeth
Teeth stains can be divided into three main categories:
- Extrinsic stains are those that appear on the surface of the teeth. They are typically caused by smoking, drinking coffee or tea, or eating certain foods like berries. These stains can be removed with regular professional teeth cleanings and teeth whitening treatments.
- Intrinsic stains are those that occur below the surface of the teeth. They are usually caused by certain medications, trauma, or excessive fluoride exposure. These stains can only be removed with professional teeth whitening treatments. In cases where intrinsic stains cannot be removed with professional teeth whitening, the tooth can be covered with dental veneers or crowns.
- Age-related stains are a type of intrinsic stain common in older adults. These occur over time as the enamel on our teeth becomes thinner and less able to resist staining agents. While age-related stains cannot be completely reversed, teeth whitening treatments can help lessen their appearance. You can also conceal them with dental veneers or crowns.
These are the top foods and drinks that stain teeth:
- Coffee and tea
- Red wine
- Sports drinks and cola
- Berries and dark-coloured fruit juices such as cranberry and grape juice
- Curry and tomato-based sauces
- Soy sauce and balsamic vinegar
Here are some ways to prevent your teeth from getting stained:
- Practise good oral hygiene. This means brushing your teeth twice daily, flossing regularly, and using mouthwash.
- Avoid foods and drinks that can cause stains, such as coffee, tea, and red wine. If you can’t avoid them, brush and floss as soon as you finish eating or drinking.
- If you smoke cigarettes, quitting is also an effective way to prevent tooth discolouration.
- It is recommended to see your dentist for regular dental checkups and cleanings.
These are some of the things you can do at home for stained teeth:
- Brush regularly and floss daily. This will help remove any accumulated surface stains on your teeth.
- A variety of at-home whitening products can help whiten your teeth. You can buy whitening toothpaste or strips at the grocery store or pharmacy, or ask your dentist for take-home bleaching trays.
- One tablespoon of baking soda mixed with two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide can also be used to scrub away surface stains. Ensure that you thoroughly rinse your mouth with water after brushing your teeth with this mixture.
- Try eating more crunchy fruits and vegetables—like apples and carrots—which help cleanse the teeth and remove staining agents.
Dental treatments for stained teeth may vary in price depending on the circumstances. Several factors affect the cost of treatment, including the materials used, the colour of your teeth, and the desired outcome. Here are the approximate costs of the following treatments:
- Teeth whitening: Starts at $200 per tooth
- Dental veneers: Starts at $420 per tooth
- Dental crowns: Starts at $1,600 per tooth
- Smile makeovers: Starts at $5,000
Please schedule a consultation at Brabham Smiles so we can assess your needs and provide you with an accurate quote.